Property & Evidence

Property and Evidence Section

The Mission of the Property and Evidence Section (P&E) is to accept, catalog, safeguard, store, and produce evidence as required for court, as well as return to owner or otherwise legally dispose of property and evidence received into the custody of the Manatee County Sheriff’s Office. The Section’s main facility is a secure warehouse, which houses over 150,000 items.

Approximately 85% of all property taken into custody is evidence required for criminal cases. The rest of the property impounded includes found property, decedent’s property, property no longer needed as evidence, contraband, and property seized for forfeitures. Property received also includes cash, jewelry, firearms, narcotics, and general property.

All property coming into and leaving the P&E is subject to strict chain of custody constraints. Property that can be legally returned to its rightful owner is done so in accordance with Florida Statutes. Contraband is destroyed when it is no longer needed for a criminal case. Unclaimed general property is disposed of through public auctions, disposed of according to Florida Statute, donated, retained for forfeiture, or physically destroyed.

You must have a valid personal, government issued, photo identification for property to be released. P&E is open to the public Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. , closed on Wednesdays, all county holidays and weekends. P&E operates on releases by appointment only.

Property and Evidence Section F.A.Q.

Where do I pick up my property?

You can pick up your property at the Property and Evidence Section (P&E) located at 600 301Blvd W, Bradenton, FL 34221.

When can I pick up my property?

P&E is open to the public Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday, 9:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m, Friday 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 pm (noon), closed on Wednesdays, all county holidays and weekends. P&E operates on releases by appointment only. You can call for an appointment at 941-747-3011 / 1130.

How long does it take to pick up property?

A typical release may take up to 30 minutes to process.

Can a friend or relative pick up my property?

A friend or relative must have a notarized Power of Attorney, authorizing them to pick up your property. If the property is to be released as the result of a court order, the court order should indicate who has power of attorney.

What do I need to retrieve my property?

What do I need to retrieve my property? If your property can be returned to you, you must have:

  1. MCSO case number or
  2. Court case number
  3. Picture identification (State Driver's License, State ID card, Passport, or U.S. Armed Forces ID card)
  4. An original "Return of Property" Court Order (if applicable).

If your court case is closed, the SAO or Case Agent must complete a Property Disposition form indicating that your property can be released. These form must have your name, address, and phone number printed on it.

What kinds of cases do not allow me the return of my gun?

Examples are:

  • Domestic injunctions
  • Open Criminal charges
  • Felony convictions

Where do I obtain a Court Order?

You need to go to the Clerk of the Court and file a "Motion for the Return of Property."

Attorneys: Guidelines for requesting by discovery, public records and viewings

Download Guidelines: Guidelines for requesting, discovery, public records and viewing (PDF)

Contact Property and Evidence

You may contact Property and evidence via this web form